USWNT vs. Colombia – International Friendly
Date: June 28, 2022
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Broadcast Time: 10:00 pm ET / 8:00 pm MT
Official Kickoff Time: 10:08 pm ET / 8:08 pm MT
Starting XI vs. Colombia: 1-Alyssa Naeher; 2-Ashley Sanchez, 8-Sofia Huerta, 10-Lindsey Horan (Capt.), 12-Naomi Girma, 13-Alex Morgan, 14-Emily Sonnett, 15-Megan Rapinoe, 16-Rose Lavelle, 23-Midge Purce, 26 -Carson Pickett
Available Subs: 4-Becky Sauerbrunn, 5-Kelley O’Hara, 6-Trinity Rodman, 7-Ashley Hatch, 9-Mallory Pugh, 18-Casey Murphy, 19-Emily Fox, 20-Taylor Kornieck, 21-Aubrey Kingsbury, 22-Kristie Mewis, 25-Jaelin Howell, 27-Sam Coffey
Not Dressing: Alana Cook, Sophia Smith, Andi Sullivan
GAME NOTES , FIVE THINGS TO KNOW – COLOMBIA
- USWNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Morgan (192), Rapinoe (189), Horan (111), Naeher (81), Lavelle (73), Sonnett (66), Purce (15), Huerta (14), Sanchez (9), Girma (2), Pickett (1)
- Tuesday’s starting lineup features nine different players from the Starting XI on Saturday against Colombia, with Horan and Lavelle the only players to start both matches.
- Today’s starting lineup averages 67 caps per player with three players – Morgan, Rapinoe and Horan – having 100+ caps. In fact, Morgan and Rapinoe enter the match having made more combined appearances for the USWNT (379) than the other nine players in this starting lineup combined (363).
- Conversely, three players in this Starting IX – Sanchez, Girma and Pickett – have single-digit caps with Pickett set to make his international debut.
- Defender Carson Pickett is set to earn her first cap for the US Women’s National Team. Pickett, who was born without part of her left arm, is the first player with a limb difference to appear for the USWNT.
- Pickett will be the fifth player to debut for the USA in 2022 and the 15th player to earn a first cap under Andonovski. At 28 years and 286 days of age, Pickett is the oldest field player to debut for the USA since McCall Zerboni made her international debut at the age of 30 in 2017 and is the oldest field player to ever start for the USA in her first cap .
- Lindsey Horan is set to captain the squad as she makes her 111th appearance all-time for the USA and her third appearance – and third start – of 2022. This will be Horan’s fourth time captaining the United States and the first since the USWNT’s matches against Australia to close out 2021.
- goalkeeper Alyssa Naeher returns to the starting lineup for her 81st cap overall and her third appearance of the year. Naeher enters the match with 46 career shutouts and ranks third in USWNT history in goalkeeper caps, wins (64) and clean sheets.
- Ashley Sanchez will make her fourth career start – all of which have come in 2022 – as she makes her ninth appearance overall for the USWNT. Sanchez will have now appeared in every match for the USA since making her international debut on Nov. 27, 2021, against Australia and has two goals and two assists thus far in her international career.
- Defender Sofia Huerta will make her 6th career start in what will be her 14th cap overall with the USWNT. This will be Huerta’s seventh cap since her return to the National Team in November of 2021, having earned her previous seven caps over the course of 2017 and 2018, including a second-half appearance in the USWNT’s last game at Rio Tinto Stadium against China in June of 2018.
- Naomi Girma will earn her second career cap as she makes her second start for the USWNT. Girma, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2021 NWSL College Draft, made her international debut and played the full 90 minutes in the USA’s April 12 win over Uzbekistan in Chester, Pennsylvania.
- Alex Morgan will make her first start for the USA since October 21, 2021, as she is slated to earn her 192nd cap overall. Morgan made her international debut in Sandy, Utah on March 31, 2010 in a snowy match against Mexico. With her appearance today against Colombia, Morgan will move into a tie with Brandi Chastain for 14th on the USA’s all-time cap charts.
- Defender Emily Sonnett returns to the pitch for her first start of the year with the USWNT and her 66th cap overall. Sonnett, who missed the USA’s April Camp due to a rib injury, saw time off the bench in the USWNT’s SheBelieves Cup matches against Czech Republic and Iceland. This is her first start for the USA since going the full 90 minutes in a 3-0 win over Australia on Nov. 27, 2021.
- Megan Rapinoe is set to earn her 189th cap as she makes her first start for the USWNT October 21, 2021. Rapinoe returned to the field in Colorado for her first minutes of the year with the USWNT and assisted Taylor Kornieck’s goal in the 90th minute. Rapinoe now has 72 career assists, one shy of tying Abby Wambach for third on the USWNT’s all-time assist charts.
- Rose Lavelle will make her fifth appearance and fifth start of 2022 as she earns her 74th career cap for the USWNT. Lavelle assisted both goals by Sophia Smith in Saturday’s win over Colombia and has now played a direct role in seven goals in the USA’s last three games, with two goals and five assists during that span. Lavelle’s five assists so far in 2022 are already tied for her most ever in a calendar year with the USWNT.
- Forward Midge Purce will earn her 15th cap overall as she makes her second start of the year and first since the USA’s Feb. 20 win over New Zealand during the SheBelieves Cup. Purce has three goals and three assists so far in her USWNT career and scored in the 84th minute against Uzbekistan on April 12, her most recent action in the Crest.
- Midfielder and reigning NWSL Rookie of the Month Sam Coffey is available off the bench for this game in Sandy. With Pickett getting the starting nod today for his first cap, Coffey will be the only player on this roster still in search of a cap. Should she see action against Colombia, Coffey would become the 250th player to earn a cap for the USWNT.